About Real Christian Singles Features Why RCS? Sign up!

Welcome, Guest:
Join Real Christian Singles!

Member Login:
Username:
Password:
forgot password?

-Success Stories
-Singles Bookstore

Singles Articles

Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Facebook!

Forums -> Sports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gemsy

Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Can Christians take up boxing or martial arts?
Some christians believe that since boxing and martial arts originate from the asian yin and yang ie the spiritual realm, it is therefore prohibited for christians.

I'm into Muay Thai Boxing and kick boxing. My pastor wants me to quit saying that these have roots of evil in them. However, as far as I know, these often teach us to use them only in self defence and not to be agressive.

What are your thoughts? Should christians take up boxing or martial arts?

HiImDan

Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

I study martial arts and boxing. It's self defense and a sport. Here're a few passages that may interest you:

John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

John 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

Jesus himself practiced self defense when it wasn't his time to go.

bichitodeluz

Fri May 15, 2009 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Re: Can Christians take up boxing or martial arts?
gemsy wrote:
My pastor wants me to quit saying that these have roots of evil in them.

quit your pastor.

substitute him, at least. Wink

TrON

Fri May 15, 2009 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

gemsy wrote:
Some christians believe that since boxing and martial arts originate from the asian yin and yang ie the spiritual realm, it is therefore prohibited for christians.

I'm into Muay Thai Boxing and kick boxing. My pastor wants me to quit saying that these have roots of evil in them. However, as far as I know, these often teach us to use them only in self defence and not to be agressive.

What are your thoughts? Should christians take up boxing or martial arts?

they are only bad if they try to supplant Biblical teaching. So it is the ones with the mantras and spiritual (non-Christian than is) meditation that are dangerous. Otherwise have fun. I prefer the way of the intercepting bullet myself.

BibleStudent777

Fri May 15, 2009 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

bichitodeluz wrote:
gemsy wrote:
My pastor wants me to quit saying that these have roots of evil in them.

quit your pastor.

substitute him, at least. Wink

A pastor saying that this is WRONG sounds too much like one of those- KJV Only, we're right and all others are wrong, legalistic pastors/churches.

I took self-denfence in 2002 and it was really cool.
It would be nice to do it again.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message

gemsy

Fri May 15, 2009 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

TrON wrote:

they are only bad if they try to supplant Biblical teaching. So it is the ones with the mantras and spiritual (non-Christian than is) meditation that are dangerous. Otherwise have fun. I prefer the way of the intercepting bullet myself.

Intercepting bullet yourself? All you would have needed was a bullet proof vest lol. Mr. Green

likeNASAluvMe

Fri May 15, 2009 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Gemsy
We are in this World but we should be separate from the World. There is no sense in causing strife here. Listen to the Holy Spirit and do the Lord's will. Seek wisdom and understanding and discernment. The Lord will tell you the truth and guide you.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message

LordofToasts

Sat May 16, 2009 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Re: gemsy
likeNASAluvMe wrote:
Listen to the Holy Spirit and do the Lord's will. Seek wisdom and understanding and discernment. The Lord will tell you the truth and guide you.

Hence what she is doing by asking other christians.

Walls don't answer when spoken to.

TrON

Sat May 16, 2009 10:52 am  Reply with quote

gemsy wrote:
TrON wrote:

Intercepting bullet yourself? All you would have needed was a bullet proof vest lol. Mr. Green

Yes but it doesn't work for rifles. Matrix

gemsy

Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

LordofToasts wrote:
likeNASAluvMe wrote:
Listen to the Holy Spirit and do the Lord's will. Seek wisdom and understanding and discernment. The Lord will tell you the truth and guide you.

WoW! LoT, I didn't know that you would be expecting your walls to speak. Thank God! When I seek God for discernment, I don't wait for the walls to speak. I'm not schizophrenic. And I'm not so ignorant as to take people's opinions as that from God. Do you? I think you think too highly of the people in here to equate them with God's opinion. Umm...now that you're in military, I think you'd be wise to be careful lest your walls talk to you or you mistake people for God.

Janica

Sat May 16, 2009 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hmm....I do not think LoT is trying to equate the people in here with God, but there are some people on this site whose counsel I would seek simply because I believe they are wise and know God. But what they say also has to line up with the Bible before I will actually take their direction or feedback. It is wise to seek godly counsel....it isn't people's opinions, but rather they speak the truth of God's word in love.

As for martial arts, when my son was younger, he took karate, and his sensei was a Christian. He taught with a Christian perspective, the primary principle is that of respect for self and others.

CristalDreams

Sat May 16, 2009 9:33 pm  Reply with quote

gemsy wrote:
LordofToasts wrote:
likeNASAluvMe wrote:

WoW! LoT, I didn't know that you would be expecting your walls to speak. Thank God! When I seek God for discernment, I don't wait for the walls to speak. I'm not schizophrenic. And I'm not so ignorant as to take people's opinions as that from God. Do you? I think you think too highly of the people in here to equate them with God's opinion. Umm...now that you're in military, I think you'd be wise to be careful lest your walls talk to you or you mistake people for God.

wow.. this post had schizo written all over it, in my honest opinion.
Why do I think this? Simply for the fact that a very very small sarcastic comment from LoT was replied by a gigantic ramblings, of which made absolutely no sense to what LoT was implying. Please do try to read, and then re-read posts, before you decide to actually comment on them & make a fool of yourself.
Smile
Really now, with silliness aside..
I don't see anything wrong at all with anyone taking martial arts or the like. People just take things way too seriously in this life, and yea I know, some don't take things serious enough, but choose your battles I suppose. I just find it petty if you want to level martial arts & Christianity Shocked I don't see any comparison, sorry Confused

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2