About Real Christian Singles Features Why RCS? Sign up!

Welcome, Guest:
Join Real Christian Singles!

Member Login:
Username:
Password:
forgot password?

-Success Stories
-Singles Bookstore

Singles Articles

Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Facebook!

Forums -> Politics Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should we use as "Law of the Land" for our government?
Bible
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Constitution
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Bible 1st...then the Constitution
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Constitution 1st...then the Bible
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Bible and Constitution equally
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
None of the Above
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Nick457

Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

Constitution or Bible?
Just wondering???

rlh86

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

There I voted. Thanks for posing the question! It's a fascinating topic, one that I'm working through currently.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message

Gurnzy

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think it goes along the lines of what was listed. We should have the Bible control what we do and how we do things including how we make our laws, ordinances, regulations, and any other rulings over people. Unfortunately, we have too many who have been voted into politics who are more interested in promoting their own agendas instead of promoting what is best for the majority of the population they are to represent. We need more REAL CHRISTIANS to be voted into positions and to use God's hand to control their actions.

focusedotl

Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

First of all I'm glad I'm not in control of running this or any other country, and my answer is always go with the word of God, it's perfect and true! The problem is that it would still be inperfect ppl trying to interpret it. That is why there is a 1st baptist of whatever, such and such baptist church, and Trinity baptist church in a town of 2500 ppl. Religion is as imperfect as government unfortionately.
A day will come when thats not a problem though Wink

Nick457

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

For those who believe that we should use the Bible / Bible 1st as "Law of the Land"...

How do you justify that line of thinking in light of the facts that: 1) The Bible tells us to obey the civil authorities and 2) The Constitution declares itself to be the "Supreme Law of the Land"? (Therefore, as the USA is a republic where law itself is the authority, the Constitution is to be obeyed).

Furthermore...WHO should interpret the Bible? Don't just say "Christians"...as you can see from this website, there is a great deal of division in the Christian realm.

Again...would it be an act of rebellion / treason to speak and act according to personal conscience and belief if one did not agree with the official governmental mandate regarding morality / Biblical interpretation? How can one support the principle of religious liberty and Biblical rule at the same time?

What should we do w/ those who do not accept the official gov't interpretations of Bible?

Furthermore...How do you justify your thinking when considering the following scriptural references:

Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. John 18:36
and
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!" Galatians 2:21

In other words...You can not solve a moral problem with a legal soultion. Morality, in order to be effective, must be an inside force working out from a person as opposed to an outside force working on a person. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is a life to be lived and a gift to be shared...NOT a political ideology, agenda or legislative mandate!!!

Allowing people to sin is NOT the same as compelling people to sin. If it were, then we would have to say that God compels us to sin by allowing us free will.

Quote:
We need more REAL CHRISTIANS to be voted into positions and to use God's hand to control their actions

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States. (Article 6, U.S. Constitution)

How do you propose that we elect "Real Christians" without subjecting them to some sort of religious test? How about we need more advocates of liberty to be voted into office?

Oh yeah! One more thing...Should we allow polygamy? Slavery? Should we refer to Mosaic Law for rape cases? (It's only rape if you scream).

focusedotl

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is for fun, that's what I took it for anyway. If it is a real attempt to over through the government though, please count me out, jail is not for me, loll.
Really though I'm sure this question was just to start conversation, and like I said, as long as its ran by imperfect humans it would fail, However I assumed we would go with the new covenant, so in a perfect world love, peace and grace would rain Wink
You are very knowledgeable about the law. Are you a lawyer?

snufupole

Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

The Bible, the Constitution, or both in a particular order?
Ideally none of the above. Ideally the world would be ruled and reigned by God himself with one of the god head here on earth to oversee the affairs of man and rule and judge according to the laws and the grace of God but unfortunately where in mans sorry hands and we have to make the best of the best that man can do which until such time as the millennial reign of CHRIST well have to do.

snufupole

Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Focus. It seems you and I were writing pretty much the same thing in are own style and way.
It seems you snuck in ahead of me. My guess would be the thread was more for debate then conversation. Old Man

focusedotl

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah, you may be right on both counts. I will always try to keep it light hearted and lean more towards conversation. Even if I do find myself in a debate, it'll be in fun.

snufupole

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Works for me Smile

rlh86

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 am  Reply with quote

Nick,

I can't speak for the others but I'll take a shot at your post. I'll have it up soon.

Thanks for starting this topic.

Nick457

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 pm  Reply with quote

focusedotl wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is for fun, that's what I took it for anyway. If it is a real attempt to over through the government though, please count me out, jail is not for me, loll.
Really though I'm sure this question was just to start conversation, and like I said, as long as its ran by imperfect humans it would fail, However I assumed we would go with the new covenant, so in a perfect world love, peace and grace would rain Wink
You are very knowledgeable about the law. Are you a lawyer?

Yes. This post is for fun and conversation...and (I hope) to stir some thought.
No. I have no intentions to overthrow the gov't.

No. I am not a lawyer. I'm just a freedom loving, libertarian who has a deep and profound mistrust of government, abhorance of tyranny and great respect for the Constitution.

Quote:
The Bible, the Constitution, or both in a particular order?
Ideally none of the above. Ideally the world would be ruled and reigned by God himself with one of the god head here on earth to oversee the affairs of man and rule and judge according to the laws and the grace of God but unfortunately where in mans sorry hands and we have to make the best of the best that man can do which until such time as the millennial reign of CHRIST well have to do.

No earthly government of man ever has been, is or ever will be perfect...mankind itself is imperfect. How can perfection come from the imperfect? (It can't).

No earthly government would also include a government run "on the Bible" though. That's not to say that the Bible is not the Divinely inspired Word of God...it is. Just saying that it would be people who would run the government.

We have differing beliefs of eschatology....but that is irrelevant here. No matter what we believe about the events of the 2nd coming...for the time being, we have governments of man in that no matter what form of gov't it is...people are the ones in office. That being the case.. Should the country be run by the Constitution, Bible or "something else". And of course...Anyone is free to weigh in on the questions I have presented in this topic.

Theocracy has been tried many times...with many religions, to include Christianity. It SUCKS every single time!!! (Inquisitions, pogroms, stocks, banishments, public floggings...witch hunts...let's not forget witch hunts!!!) Insanity: Doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different result!

To a man, every one of the founding fathers knew what theocracy is and, to a man, every single one of them REJECTED it! Again...God's law may be perfect...but man's implementation of it? That's always another story...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3