About Real Christian Singles Features Why RCS? Sign up!

Welcome, Guest:
Join Real Christian Singles!

Member Login:
Username:
Password:
forgot password?

-Success Stories
-Singles Bookstore

Singles Articles

Follow us on Twitter!Follow us on Facebook!

Forums -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhobbit

Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

What is the females role in the church?
We have had a situation come up in our small church that has brought this question up. I would love to have some input from others out side my church family.

Thanks,
Barb

Recon777

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Well, what do you mean by "role"? The church is the assembly of believers. Its not a business, so it doesn't have a complex role structure.

The only two roles mentioned in scripture are Elder and Deacon. Both of these roles, scripture says must be the husband of one wife. So women would not be elders or deacons, clearly. Other than that, there are no "roles" in the church.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message

happyhobbit

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with you. The church was having business meetings monthly and decided to create a board group so they wouldn't have to. The board would make any decisions normally made during the business meetings. Then they would only have quarterly business meetings. They decided to have a female on the board. Well a new member of the church decided that board members were "leaders" of the church and females should not be on the board. He convinced all the men that it was Biblical! So they took a vote and the vote decided that no female should be on the board. I was very confused about it and still am. I kind of feel that the vote was a set up of some sort. Whenever I asked questions they were kind of just pushed to the side. After this i don't know if I want to go back but I feel I have an obligation to the children. I will at least help with them until our VBS is over. then at this time I'm thinking of looking for another church. I just feels men are in complete control at the moment! That if a female wants to say something then they need to tell their husbands and their husbands will speak for her. Well don't have a husband to talk to about it. They even kind of shunned me off when I tried to ask the questions at the meeting. So I now feel that females have no say in anything.

Recon777

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 am  Reply with quote

Well there's nothing at all wrong with you pointing to scripture and saying "Shouldn't you be following this??"

The question I'd have for them is what biblical justification do they have for creating this "board" in the first place?? Such a thing is not mentioned in scripture.

As for the men who are on this board. Do they consider themselves elders? Do they qualify as elders? Are each of them of such great moral character that they can fill such a role? Its not enough to say that women are disqualified as elders. Most men are also disqualified.

If your church is not willing to submit its structure to the Bible, then yeah I'd suggest finding a church that is. And that's not easy.

happyhobbit

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:17 am  Reply with quote

What does it mean to you "husband of one wife"?

I was raised to believe that it meant that they could not have been divorced and remarried.

I have been a member of this church since I moved to the area 3 yrs ago. Some things are just starting to not make sense. I have been praying about this so much. Maybe this is God's way of showing me it's not the church I should be in. I know I'm committed until August because of VBS. I really don't believe I will be staying any longer than that.

The Pastor has been divorced and remarried. His ex wife has also been remarried. When asked how this was Biblical the pastor's wife explained...... They look at it that he is only with one wife now!

This stuff has just torn me up inside. Please help me keep this church in prayer!!!

Recon777

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Well, to answer your question, just read Luke 16:18 and then read Romans 7:2-3 very carefully...

The term "husband of one wife" pretty clearly means that (a) he should be married, and (b) he should not have more than one wife. Whether he is divorced from his first wife or not is immaterial. His second marriage (remarriage or polygamy) is still a "second wife" is it not? Romans 7:2-3 indicates that until death, the marriage covenant still exists. A legal divorce would not have any effect on it, since marriage is not a legal institution.

The Romans passage reads pretty clear. If the original spouse still lives, the person is in adultery. Oops pastor, someone's living in adultery...

Food for thought.

*** Disclaimer
Of course, its important to remember that none of us are completely without sin. If we are unaware of something that's sin in our lives, it can often be said that grace covers it. Its not entirely black and white as an issue, so grace is a pretty big factor. Still, when qualifying an elder, the whole church needs to examine the man's life to see if he qualifies. Your pastor clearly does not, sorry.

happyhobbit

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Thank you so much!!!! You have helped a lot!!! I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Anybody else want to offer an opinion!!!

BBW_SavedbyGrace

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Re:
It depends on what her spiritual giftings are. It depends on what God is having her do right now. Her place in the church should be what Gods will is for her. If he wants her to sit and be still, then it's that. If he wants her to lead a bible study, childrens or adults.If he wants her to greet people at the door. If he wants her to be part of the music ministry in the church. If you ask the pastor, reverend etc and he doesn't know, there lies the problem. If you have a ordained group of people God will be telling you what to do, but if it's just a group of people saying hey lets get together and make this happen, without God, it will fail. There is no "generalized" position for "women". God Bless you. Pray that this has helped in some way.

BBW_SavedbyGrace

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

P.S I am also having a hard time at my church that I've been at for 15 months. I believe and so do 5 others that my pastors his eyes, clarity, and descrnment have been clouded by evil/ witchery. I will not leave the church. I strongly believe in my case that I love my pastor/shepard through this time. Praying for him diligently. When prayer is not enough, that's when you have to fast. I pray all the darkness will come to the light. When there are two or more praying about the same matter,..that is when God is in the midst. Lean on God, not your own understanding. Seek him honestly, earnestly and diligently and be STILL, and see what he does. Mathew 6:33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and all else shall follow. God Bless

happyhobbit

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks BBW for your input!!! I believe that prayer is the factor in this. There are a couple of us praying.

Barb

Recon777

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

Well, BBW brings up a whole bunch of stuff that is good to talk about regarding what can women do in the church.. This of course, is different than your original question as to what their role can be. I think in general, a married woman is to follow her husband's guidance in terms of theology and understanding spiritual matters. Of course, she is also going to have her own insights, and I think the burden falls on the husband in such cases to make sure that HE is on top of things and is able to lead his wife well. When Paul talked about women in ways that seemed rather oppressive, I'm pretty sure that the context was that these women were getting pretty crazy ideas all on their own, and not listening to their husbands. Its understandable that Paul would have some strong words for such women. I have seen people just like this in various churches as well. Particularly churches that are heavy into charismatics and prosperity teachings. In such places feminism is prevalent. The very core idea of feminism is what Paul was instructing against. I don't think he was literally saying that a woman cannot speak at all in a church meeting. That's ridiculous. There are many many things a woman can do to participate in church. None of these are a "role" as much as something you can do to contribute. Nothing at all wrong with that.

As for single women, I think the best thing for them is to gain their instruction from other women in the church or also the elders. Titus 2 talks about older women training up the younger ones. Also the church is supposed to take care of its widows as a collective. There's a woman in my church with four kids and no husband at home. The church wants to buy her a car. This is how its supposed to go. Women have a place, and its not to be neglected or abandoned. They can contribute, but they are not to be elders or deacons. etc.

happyhobbit

Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with that.
The church is very small because the town is very small. There are 2 single females in our church. Me a widow raising 2 daughters. A divorced/disabled mom still raising a teenage son. We were both very confused and still are as to what is really going on. I personally am very involved in the children's program. She helps out with what she can do. When we ask questions we feel as though we are getting ignored. That is one of the reasons I brought the question to this board. Hoping to see if what I believed was accurate. So far I see that we are all on the same page with this.
I knew I could get answers someplace.

Thanks again,
Barb

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2